BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 20, 2010

Washington, DC - Day 3 - Sunday, July 4th

Stupid internal clock! I could’ve slept in today, since we’re not going to DC until late afternoon. Say what? Julie insisted on a relaxing day at her place before heading to the craziness of DC for fireworks. We had an awesome menu for lunch: hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, potato salad, deviled eggs, chips. And by “we”, I mean “not us”. Only the humans ate. How rude! But it could’ve been worse – they could’ve eaten us!

After they finished the meal, they chilled out in the living room. Julie researched museum closing times and saw that The Natural History Museum was open until 7 PM. Which was perfect, since the fireworks started at 9 PM and we could visit the museum until it closed and then find a spot for the fireworks. I can’t wait!

It was our first on the train today. We were going to take it all the way to the mall in DC. I didn’t know we were going to shop. I forget my money at home. I was told this was an all-expense-paid trip to DC. No one told me I had to buy my own souvenirs. OK, Lucky, Polly – which train do we take home? What, John? There’s fireworks tonight? On the mall? Sounds dangerous. I’m in!

Turns out the “mall” was a big open grassy area in the middle of DC. If I had known that, I wouldn’t have whined. No, really … I wouldn’t have! We headed to the museum like we planned. There were LOTS of friends for me to play with. I met a polar bear, and a jelly fish, and some butterflies. We even got to be part of a totem pole! The humans wanted to look at the rocks. Me? I could’ve hung out with the woolly mammoth all night. What? The fireworks start in an hour? Let’s find a spot on the field .. I mean mall. I wanna peck!

We wandered in the twilight, looking for a patch of earth to call our own. We eventually found one near the Capital Building and sprawled out. There were quite a few people waiting for the show. Not as many as John was predicting, but still more than I’ve ever seen in one spot before. Many were playing hacky-sack, most were relaxing, some were with the Hare Krishna’s. Everyone an American. I was so proud I waved a flag. American, of course. I’m not a turkey; otherwise, I might’ve flown that one!

BOOM! That’s how the show started. Fireworks of every color exploded over the Washington Monument. Rockets red glare. And blue. And green. And purple! The display was spectacular. Everyone was cheering, John was flashing everyone (with his camera), and smoke hung in the air. And then it was over. That’s it? I want more! I can still hear! Where are we going? I don’t want to leave! Wait? Where’d all these people come from? We have to all get through that tiny door? Help! I’m being squished! Or is it squashed? SQUAWK!

Well, that was fun. NOT! Thankfully, the train platform was not too crowded. Talk about claustrophobic. And we get off at the end of the line. Awesome! Maybe I can get some sleep in John’s bag. Nope! First, he got a band-aid for a girl next to him. Then he got the fan out for the mom. What does a bird have to do to get sleep around here? Apparently nothing, because I didn’t even notice when we got to Julie’s house. No matter. I need my rest for tomorrow. Itinerary for tomorrow: Arlington Cemetery, National Archives, top of Washington Monument. In 100 degree heat. YAY!

0 comments: